05 February 2015

Valentine's Day gradient nailart

Hi loves! Today I want to share a cute Valentine's Day nailart with you, and if you don't like Valentine's Day just consider it a girly fun look ;-). About 2 weeks ago I bought a fun glitter topper at H&M, called Pastel Dots. It's made up of white, soft pink and black hex glitter in various sizes. Unfortunately the pink is really soft so especially in pictures it looks white.

Keep reading for more information!

To create this look, I started with a base of OPI My Vampire Is Buff, 2 coats. After it dried properly, I grabbed a little sponge and Essence Fame Fatal. I love the gradient came out hot pink in the middle instead of just beige to red!

For gradients I always use the technique I learned from Sammy over at The Nailasaurus. This creates the softest gradients for me personally, but you could also paint the polish directly onto the sponge and work with that.

After the gradient dried, I used the H&M Pastel Dots topper - toppers like these always look so fun against gradients! It applied well, the glitter didn't clump and laid down flat nicely.

What do you think of this look? Something you'd wear for Valentine's Day or another occasion? Tell me in the comments!

1. What a perfect gradient! The glitter really pops over the gradient base!

2. The Dalai Lama's Nails05 February, 2015 19:27

so lovely - and I love the topper over the gradient! Really pretty :)

3. I love Pastel Dots and I have to say that MVIB is hands down one of my favorite OPIs!! Great gradient!!!

4. Theodora C. Radu05 February, 2015 21:56

It is absolutely gorgeous !! I love it and I would definitely wear it <3

5. Color Me So Crazy05 February, 2015 21:58

Killer gradient! I am in love with the colors you used! Awesome job

6. Love the glitter over the gradient. I haven't really been happy with how my last few gradients have come out so maybe it's time to try a new method. :)

7. This is beautiful. I never really bother with Valentines but I'm sure I'd wear this during this year. It's perfect for summer too!

8. Your gradient is awesome!

9. That topper added that pizazz I really like it, I may try something similar

10. Jennifer Channell06 February, 2015 00:00

Love the color combos. This is the perfect Valentines day mani.

11. Very pretty! Of course I'd wear this, I'm always trying to copy your manis! :D

12. So pretty! It's definitely got a Valentine's vibe without being all hearts and candy and such. <3

13. Amazing gradient! Perfect for Valentine's Day!

14. That gradient is gorgeous! Definitely something I would wear. :)

15. ValiantlyVarnished06 February, 2015 05:03

The black and white glitter really pop against the gradient!

16. So beautiful! Your gradient is just perfect! :)

17. I would definitely wear this for Valentines Day. I love the look of gradient polish and the top coat just adds a lil bit extra. Very pretty!

18. So pretty! You did a great job creating this glitter accent.

19. Very pretty polish! Gorgeous gradient too, and is it me, or does it make your nails look longer?!

20. This is beautiful 7 I'm loving that topper- so light!

21. Cosmetic Sanctuary07 February, 2015 00:46

What a beautiful gradient! I love that you went from neutral to bright and then the black/white topper!

22. Victoria - manicurator07 February, 2015 02:08

Perfect and beautiful!! That gradient is everything!

23. This is so pretty! That glitter is really nice!

24. It's a cute combo huh? Thanks girl :).

25. MVIB is really one of my most used polishes EVER - it's actually visibly used lol, which almost never happens.

26. What method do you usually use Ashlee? The only thing I struggle with (luckily topcoat hides a lot) is that sometimes little bits of sponge come off and get stuck on the nail...

27. Thanks! I liked how you could match it with V-Day but indeed it isn't limited to the holiday.

28. Thanks Jessica! Adding a topper like that makes the look so much different :).

29. Thank you so much Jennifer, glad you like it!

30. That's what I was going for! Thanks Jenny :)

31. It might be pulling a little trick indeed! Must be the lighter colored part at the bottom of the nail.

32. Thanks Lisa! I'm quite happy with the gradient too :).

33. Normally I'm a paint straight on the sponge type of girl but the last couple times I've used a damp sponge and that seems to give to give me a smoother gradient. I find I get those sponge bits if I over work the dabbing or I don't topcoat my base first.